PLEASE HELP BLUE PRESS STAY AFLOAT

Friday, August 1, 2008

Steel Pier Road Kill

After the tinsel evaporates
we get back to divvying up existence
like “I guess you are someone I
thought I knew”
when it turns out you were just
talking to yourself
A light wind moving the top of
your head around inside
the bones of moonlight
like clockwork underwater
& all of it burnt clean to rock bone (the
rush of how night rushes across the sky
& streets (eyes are liquid & keyed in on
but where you cross the broken
line punching out your shadow
barefoot & needing a shave
but some precise measure
degrees of (I don’t know I’ve got it
written down at home along with
the names of some dead
movie stars & their phone numbers
breathing exercises for horn players
& such everything we take for granted
now that the thread & needles
have been safely stashed in your
memory & the beach road is
humming like a wire