PLEASE HELP BLUE PRESS STAY AFLOAT

Friday, November 2, 2012

Slipping the Glimpse

I’d rather be lying in the sand
on an empty beach in Baja right now
as you do your best Ava Gardner imitation
(Night of the Iguana) beneath a sky
neither of us recognize
 
but I’m here
listening to dry leaves rattle like empty beer cans
a sound similar to the waves rushing in like a herd of silver ponies
sounds… in advance of a cold breeze off the water
that has knives in it
 
& a heart-shaped moment later you
lift your head & ask “What did you just say?”
 
You see I’ve made these careful drawings of your tattoos
I can’t show them to you because they are mine now
& this is how I will love you
 
True romance is like torching the pier
while half-dressed women painted the color of water
lick their lips
 
sealing our fate